Saturday 7 February 2009

Strawberry Pocky-ish

It's February, it's snowing, and I'm back in the student kitchen (and it's my turn to clean it, therefore I am taking this chance to get it good and messy :P).

The SU shop here sells Pocky, and of course I've now become hopelessly addicted. So, I thought I'd try making my own:

Ooh, bad picture...
Yay! They're not exactly as pretty and delicate as the real thing, but the flavour was just as good.

My Strawberry Pocky Recipe
(Obviously not perfect, but I'll write it down for the record)

Dough
200g Plain Flour
Pinch of salt
50g light brown Sugar
50g Butter (or margerine)
1 small Egg
(I also added a handful of porrige oats on a whim, but I don't think they matter enough to include here)

Covering
100-120g white chocolate (I only used about 80g and tried to bulk it up with icing sugar and a little milk for some reason - disaster!)
3-5 tsp strawberry flavour milkshake powder

Mix the flour, salt and sugar in a bowl, then rub in the butter. Stir in the egg with enough water to make the dough stick together. Bung it in the fridge to chill for a while, then roll it out, cut into strips (I rolled it to the size of the large chopping board I was working on, and cut roughly 1cm strips), and roll into cylinders. Cut them down to the size you want (unless you want them ridiculously long). Bake for about 10 mins at 200 degrees C.

Melt the chocolate and stir in the milkshake powder. Dip the baked dough fingers into the mixture (or spoon some over) and shake off excess. Leave to cool/set.

(My dough that was nearest the back of the oven burned slightly on the ends, although the rest was fine. I just snapped off the offending parts before I dipped 'em. Also, my strawberry chocoate mixture was a bit thin due to my earlier blunder - next time I would use more chocolate, and maybe double-dip them to get a nice, thick, non-runny coating.)

Also, just for larks, I thought I'd calculate the cost of making these. I sifted through some receipts and estimate the ingredients to cost about 80p. Pretty good, seeing as they sell for 98p in boxes containing at most half the amount I made. Teehee!

I might try these again some time, perhaps in a different flavour... ooh, the possibilities! Dark chocolate and coconut perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment